Sunday 29 March 2020

DAY 5: FASHION

It is an extraordinary moment when I see fashion, function and design come together. I am beginning to find out that this extraordinary moment in history will find the creme rising to the top. I have been in world of fashion since the age of 3. Ballet, jazz, tap, modeling, pageantry, debutante balls, coming out, cotillion, weddings, quincineras, bat mitzvahs, bar mitzvahs I have been involved in all that require just the right clothing thus evolving me into a fashion writer, personal procururer of fashion and immerse myself into most things involving it.

I have worked with designers from the bottom floor both photographing and modeling their clothes. Over 3 decades ago I walked one of my first runways in America for a recycled clothing show with designers headed to study at Stern. In that fashion show I wore a dress entirely made of recycled straws. It wore in the literal sense-like I was in a straw.

Fast forward to just a few weeks ago. I interviewed New Zealand's Juliette Hogan, one of the country's most successful boutique designers, who finished her fashion & design studies in New York.

After years of industry study, which did include quite a bit of shopping, what I see more than a person or price tag on a garment or good, is the utilitarian need for a high quality textile to cover our bodies. We have to be covered to adhere to modesty in the modern age. What does that look like? ripped jeans? A hand-knitted scarf? A $400 t-shirt? Silk shirts? A monogrammed-laden purse or latex leggings? Fashion takes many forms but today that form is for the face. A mask to protect, prevent and promote the idea that worlds are colliding on many levels in order to sustain world peace. Skilled, smart people make the clothes that you wear and now they are doing what they know which is to sew. Prabal Gurung posted this:




Gucci, Cristian Siriano, LVH, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent, Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior are just a few of those stepping up to produce and or source masks and try to get them where they need to be.